A shooting at a state psychiatric hospital in Concord, N.H., on Friday afternoon left “multiple victims,” the New Hampshire State Police said.

The situation at the hospital had been “contained” as of Friday evening, and the assailant was dead, the New Hampshire Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management said on social media.

The department, which did not immediately respond to calls seeking comment, did not offer more details about the shooting. It was unclear how many victims there were or what their conditions were.

Col. Mark B. Hall, the director of the New Hampshire Department of Safety, said at a short news briefing that the shooter had been “contained to the front lobby” of the hospital and that “all patients are safe.”

He added that officials were investigating a “suspicious vehicle” that had been found, though he did not elaborate. Colonel Hall said that a more extensive news conference would be held later Friday evening.

New Hampshire Hospital says on its website that it treats people with mental illness.

The shooting came about three weeks after a gunman in Lewiston, Maine, fatally shot 18 people and injured 13 more in the country’s deadliest mass shooting of the year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *